Dear Parents/Guardians and Husky Grads,
As we continue working on creating a meaningful celebration to honour the NDSS Graduating Class of 2021, we would like to provide you with some updated information. Earlier today, schools received new guidance from the provincial government to support graduation ceremony planning in alignment with the current Provincial Health Officer Gathering and Events Order and the Provincial COVID-19 Health & Safety Guidelines for K-12 Settings. While we know that many of you have been disappointed not to have been able to participate in typical graduation events this year, health and safety must remain our priority. We are reviewing these guidelines to help inform our plans to hold a safe Valedictory event. Tentatively, we are continuing to plan for this year’s Valedictory Ceremony to combine in-person and virtual components.
A Valedictory Video will be aired during the final week of June. The video will include students who were filmed earlier in the year wearing their caps and gowns. The video will also include some highlights from the in-person Valedictory event and other contributions from grads. The valedictory comments that students submitted earlier in the year will also be included in this video. If students have any questions about the Valedictory comments, they should contact Mrs. Cullen at firstname.lastname@example.org
In-Person Valedictory Event
The in-person component to Valedictory will take place at North Delta Secondary on the evening of Friday, June 11 and continue on Saturday, June 12. This will include the opportunity for up to two household members to join in celebrating the achievement of their graduating student. The graduating student will also have a chance to have their graduation photo taken by Artona Studios. Due to health and safety restrictions, it is important that graduating students and household members are aware of the following information and restrictions:
- the graduating student should arrive at the school already dressed in their cap and gown
- the graduating student and household members should arrive at the school 10 minutes prior to their scheduled time slot. Each vehicle will be greeted by a staff member upon arrival.
- only one vehicle with the graduating student and up to two household members will be allowed to enter the parking lot.
- only two household members will be permitted to leave the car and participate in the event. Additional spectators will not be permitted. This will be strictly enforced.
- graduating students and household members are expected to leave the school grounds immediately following their scheduled time.
Valedictory Event Sign Up
During the final week of May, a sign up form will be made available to Grade 12 students to sign up for a time slot on June 11 or 12 during which they can participate in the in-person valedictory event. As this is an unconventional event, we will not be alphabetizing the order in which students attend. Rather, they will be provided the opportunity to sign up online for their preferred time on a first come first served basis.
This year’s grads will have the following keepsake items: grad cap, tassel and gown, a gold stole, grad composite photo and an individual grad photo provided by Artona, a Valedictory program and a small keepsake.
Valedictorian Selection Process
In preparation for the virtual Valedictory, we are opening the application process to Grade 12 students who meet the criteria to nominate themselves to represent the graduating class as this year’s Valedictorian. Students who are interested, can view the criteria and apply online using the 2021 NDSS Valedictorian Application Form. The application process closes on May 25 at 3:00pm.
North Delta Secondary has launched the school’s Graduation Scholarships & District Authority Scholarships to all grade 12s. Many scholarships, bursaries and other awards are available for grade 12s to apply to. To receive these awards students must apply, meet the criteria and be selected by the NDSS Scholarship Committee. All grade 12s have been sent instructions and information about our school-based scholarship program to their Delta Learns Accounts. Deadline for students to apply is Tuesday, May 25, 2021 before 3:00pm. Please encourage your child to apply soon as these scholarships and awards are exclusively for North Delta Secondary Grade 12 Students. For more information, please visit the school website.
North Delta Reporter Honouring ND Graduates
The North Delta Reporter will be honouring ND Grads in an upcoming issue. Please look out for the tribute in the paper.
We are excited to recognize the achievements of the graduating class of 2021 and we look forward to graduating students and their household members being a part of the upcoming celebration.
Mr. A. Akune, Principal
Dear Husky Grads & Parents/Guardians,
As we enter into Quarter 4, we want to provide you with some information regarding our year-end graduation activities as well as some information pertaining to graduation requirements.
The recent increase in COVID-19 cases is a good reminder of how quickly things can change and continues to limit the types of events that are permitted to occur. Any school-related function will adhere to the most recent guidelines, restrictions and protocols outlined by the Provincial Health Order and Fraser Health.
The first form of graduation recognition that I’d like to highlight for you is the Valedictory Video that will be released in late June. To date, approximately 150 graduates have now been filmed wearing their caps and gowns for inclusion in the video. For various reasons, some grads were unable to attend their previously scheduled appointments. Grads who wish to be filmed should speak with Mr. Lum in the Library immediately to coordinate a time.
On June 11 and 12, we will be recognizing the accomplishments of our grads in person during the ‘Crossing the Stage’ Valedictory Event. During this event, each grad will cross the stage wearing their cap and gown, and their valedictory comment will be read. This will be an in-person event that is tentatively planned to include parents/guardians. In order to ensure that the gathering of people remains limited in numbers, grads will be asked to book a time in which to attend. Artona Studios will also be present for this event and will take a formal photograph of each graduate on stage. Highlights from this event will also be captured on video and included in the Valedictory Video. If you wish to view the 2019-20 Valedictory Video please check it out on North Delta Secondary’s You Tube Channel.
We understand that some families might want to celebrate the accomplishments of their grad in their own way. We ask that if you choose to do so that you follow all health guidelines. Please be aware that the details about all school-sanctioned graduation events will be communicated through letters issued in this space and on the school website. If you have any questions about school-planned events, we encourage you to contact the school.
It is important that Grade 12 students are in a position to meet the Ministry of Education’s Graduation Requirements. Counsellors met with Grade 12 students to create a plan to ensure each student can achieve graduation.
Two graduation requirements that all students graduating at the end of the 2020-21 school year must complete are:
- Numeracy 10 Assessment: Most Grade 12 students completed the Numeracy Assessment earlier in the year. It is important that each Grade 12 log into the MyEd Student Portal to ensure that this has been recorded. Any student who has not yet written their Numeracy Assessment or would like to improve on their previous attempt will need to contact Vice-Principal, Mr. Dalgetty as soon as possible so that they can be registered to complete the assessment in June.
- Career Life Connections 12 & Capstone: Capstone projects were due on April 6. Any students who have questions or still need to submit their project should contact Ms. Magee (email@example.com) and/or speak with her in the Library.
We continue to make the focus of our support ensuring that grade 12 students achieve academic requirements for graduation. If you have any questions, please contact the appropriate counsellor.
- Ms. Blouin firstname.lastname@example.org Grade 12 Last Names K-Q
- Ms. Bousserska email@example.com Grade 12 Last Names A-D
- Ms. Kaila firstname.lastname@example.org Grade 12 Last Names E-J
- Ms. Cipriano email@example.com Grade 12 Last Names R-Z
We are striving to honour and celebrate our Grads for the incredible accomplishments during their years of school. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding during these extraordinary times. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us at the school.
Mr. A. Akune, Principal Mr. K. Dalgetty, Vice-Principal Mr. B. Scarr, Vice-Princip
- Grad Caps & Gowns were ordered on December 18. We are hopeful that caps and gowns will arrive in early February.
- Grad Photos are scheduled to be taken February 1-8, 2021. Grade 12 students may now begin booking times for their Grad Photos using the online booking system. Student should have their PUPIL # from the Student ID Card available when registering. Photos will be taken on site at the school. Artona will provide a trailer in the back parking lot where photos will be taken.
- Grad Hoodies are now available to be purchased online through each student’s Fee.
- Assessment on Student/Parent Connect for a cost of $56.
- Grad Spirit Week (Jan 11-15)
- Mon, Jan 11:Meme Monday
- Tues, Jan 12: Tie-Die/Colorful
- TuesdayWed, Jan 13: Jersey Day Wednesday
- Thurs, Jan 14: Black-Out Thursday
- Fri, Jan 15: PJ Friday)
Updated: February 11, 2021
At this time, provincial health restrictions limiting the number of people who can be present for an event/gathering make it unlikely that a traditional Grad Banquet or Valedictory Ceremony will be able to take place.
In an effort to recognize the achievement of 2021 grads, North Delta is tentatively planning the following:
‘Crossing the Stage’ Event – June 11 & 12
Each grad will have the chance to book a time to cross the stage on June 11 or 12. Grads will be expected to wear their cap and gown. Each student’s grad comment will be read as they cross the stage. Photographers will be on site to take a grad photo of each student while on stage. At this time, the school is planning for the possibility that a parent may be able to attend this event. More details will be shared closer to the date of the event.
Valedictory Video – Date TBA
A Valedictory Video will be released for viewing. The release date has not yet been determined but it will likely take place in late June 2021
In order to organize these forms of recognition, students must adhere to the following timeline:In order to organize these forms of recognition, students must adhere to the following timeline:
- mid February: Students who ordered a cap and gown, and have paid their grad fee, will receive their cap and gown.
- mid February – March 12: Grads are asked to bring in baby and childhood photos to Mr. Lum in the Library. Photos will be scanned and be incorporated into the Valedictory Video.
- February 10-22: Grads will also be asked to submit a 30 word maximum comment to be included in the Valedictory Video and to be read out during the ‘Crossing the Stage’ Event. Due Date: Feb 22. Grads should submit their comment using the Grad Recognition Google Form.
- late February – March 12: Grads will be asked to book a time to be filmed in the ‘green room’ of the Library wearing their cap and gown.
- March 30 – April 9: Each grad will be filmed in the ‘green room’ of the Library. Filming will take place daily from 1:30 – 4:00pm. For health and safety reasons, it is important that students attend the time they pre-booked.